Day 6

Day 6 

Our morning started off with an full breakfast of potatoes, bacon and eggs and it was delicious but I have to admit that it made me want a cup of Foldgers even more. Afterwards we were off to meet with Tom Walker a Fish Biologist who then prepared us for our next activity planting along a new culvert that is next to Soda Creek, it was recently replaced in Deschutes National Forest. I really liked that they were trying to help along the environment with planting along Soda Creek and I was happy to be a part of this project. Tom was nice enough to help us throughout the duration of our service work and I really appreciated that. Afterwards we broke for lunch - sandwiches again. Then we were off to our next destination which was Lava Butte. Lava Butte was very picturesque. Lava Butte is a volcano that hasn’t erupted in 7000 years and there is still to this day a layout of where the lava flowed out of Lava Butte. After Lava Butte we took a small hike to Benham Falls and it was difficult for all of the students to be there because we just wanted to jump in and enjoy the cool water.  I took a lot of photos and video here because I thought it was beautiful. And it was interesting to learn about how Lava flow had created Benham Falls – lava once flowed through the same area and after it cooled it became the path of least resistance for water and then there was Benham Falls. After hiking we were definitely ready to eat and the nice people at the U.S. Forest service fed us a delicious dinner that I think everyone inhaled. My classmate Pablo devoured 5 hotdogs while we were there and I still think he is only 100lbs. Finally, we went to the Lava Caves and I was amazed by how the temperature dropped just as we were getting near the entrance of the caves. I really thought that the Lava Caves were amazing and I had a lot of fun here. It’s pretty neat to say that today I walked a mile into a lava tube. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2

Day 4